The following are the state of Missouri’s standard septic system regulations.
- Septic tank from private well = 50 ft.
- Septic tank from public well = 300 ft.
- Lateral lines from private well = 100 ft.
- Lateral lines from public well = 300 ft.
- Septic tank from property line = 10 ft.
- Lateral line from property line = 10 ft.
Some regulations that vary from the state per county are as follows.
- Minimum septic tank size is 1,000 gals. for any residence up to and including a 3 bedroom home.
- A 4 bedroom home requires a minimum of a 1,250 gal. tank.
- A 5 bedroom home requires a minimum of a 1,500 gal. tank.
- All residential systems are sized at the rate of 12o gallons per bedroom.
- Standard absorption trenches are not permitted in soils with a loading rate of less than 0.2 gallons per day.
- All absorption field sizing is based upon information obtained from a soil evaluation performed by qualified individuals.
- Absorption areas are based on soil loading rates with a minimum requirement of 600 sq.ft. for any residence.
Some common setback requirements
- Septic tank to private water supply = 50′
- Disposal area to private water supply = 100′
- Disposal area to property line = 10′
Anyone performing septic system installation or repairs in Springfield, MO must be licensed as an installer with the state of Missouri and Greene County. The only exception is for homeowners performing their own repairs. They are not required to be licensed but must demonstrate the knowledge needed for the work they are performing and all work is subject to inspection.